Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sunshine=Happiness






So, again it's been awhile since I have updated the blog...I have been so busy in the past week but now I am in Laos where everything is sooo slooowwww...so lots of time to update!

Last time I wrote I was in Hoi An, which to recap it rained the most of the time...however still an amazing small town. After Hoi An we took a bus to Hue, which is the wettest city in Vietnam . It rains about 200 days a year, and when we were there it rained, and rained, and rained; in fact it didn't stop raining. Hue is supposed to be another amazing place in Vietnam as this was the former capital of Vietnam and imperial life. We saw the citadel and forbidden palace where the Tet offensive was fought. The next day we wanted to take a boat ride to the Kings Tombs outside of town but the river was so high the boats couldn't clear the bridges, so it was back on the bus. We sloshed along the kings tombs for a while in the pouring rain, but I have to say I didn't see much except for the side walk...looking at the sidewalk was the only thing I could do to keep somewhat dry. By the end of the sloshing my poncho was no longer water proof and I was completely soaked...

That afternoon we boarded the overnight train to Hanoi; and 20 minutes outside of Hue it had stopped raining...of course. The overnight train was an experience...I've been on several overnight trains in Europe and they're never luxury but this one was pretty dirty. Oh well I guess it builds character...while I was reading my book in the cabin I was visited by a mouse and cockroaches...I won't even mention the smell of the bathroom. But I went to bed that night, hoping the next day would be sunny and warm, just in time for my birthday and Thanksgiving.

My birthday wishes came true as we pulled into Hanoi in the early morning and the sky was clear and the sun rising! I couldn't have asked for a better birthday and thanksgiving! The group had a fantastic breakfast at Koto, a restaurant that trains underprivileged kids in the restaurant industry. We followed that up by a visit to Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum...which how ironic to be there on Thanksgiving. I have to say it was an interesting experience to go through and see Uncle Ho. The rules are very strict...single file line, no talking, no sunglasses, no photos, I even got yelled at for putting my hands in my pockets! Anyway I finally made it through and I think Madame Trussaud has made a fine wax version for display (that my own opinion of course)! The people in Vietnam love Uncle Ho and I couldn't believe the number of school kids, war veterans, and average Vietnamese people making the pilgrimage to see him...they really do love him. I guess I didn't really understand and seeing this makes me wonder why did we even go to war? But that's a whole other discussion.

The rest of my birthday was great as well! Paula (a friend from my travel group) and I explored the old quarter of Hanoi which was an experience. Lonely Planet is right when they say it's what you think of as "old Asia" or something like that...It this weird mix of European architecture and Asian culture. The streets are narrow and crowded with everyone peddling something from food, clothing, metal furniture, Christmas decorations, souvenirs...it's very chaotic and hard to describe....I was really overwhelmed!

The next day we got on the bus again and drove four hours to Halong Bay. There's not much to say about this place except it is absolutely beautiful and peaceful. I wish we had more time there than an overnight boat ride. We kayaked on the bay and through caves, watched the sunset, swam, ate great food...really fantastic!

The next day the group came back to Hanoi..and with that the final leg of my organized trip was over...I am now traveling by myself. I am so happy with my decision to book the tour through Cambodia and Vietnam...I met the most amazing people on the trip..all young, interesting from faraway places..Ireland, Australia, England, France...I can't wait to go visit them!

My last two days spent in Hanoi where interesting. I took a great half day cooking class with an cute Australian couple from Brisbane. We shopped at the market and then made a Vietnamese feast for lunch! That night I met up with a family friend who grew up in Hanoi, went to DePauw, worked for Microsoft but just moved back to Hanoi about two years ago. We had a great time talking about the culture and touring the city. Taun took me for an adventurous dinner as I was bragging about all the weird and interesting things have eaten in the past couple weeks from bbq rat, grilled snake, fried sparrow...
We had dinner at a great restaurant on West Lake... it was a culinary adventure as we started out with eel soup, followed by shrimp cakes, whole steamed crab, boiled snails...it really was great until about three in the morning when I woke up so sick!