Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Airplane Airport Arrival


So my flight to Seoul was long, very long...a total of about 13 1/2 hours. I flew Korean Air, and first of all the flight attendants have the cutest little uniforms I've ever seen in the skies... blue/green silk fitted blouses with french cut skirts..which is so hip right now, Bill Cunningham did an "on the street's" all about this a few weeks ago!
Anyways, I sat next to two Vietnamese boys in their twenties....both from Fort Wayne Ind. The boy sitting next to me spoke English, but his friend, who, by the way was wearing a crushed satin ivory suit, didn't...so I chatted it up with the boy next to me, turns out he does nails...long story short, I have a free mani/pedi waiting for me the next time I'm in Fort Wayne!
One thing about the flight that no one mentioned, the flight path goes through Canada and northern Alaska. According to the map on the plane we flew on the southern edge of the Arctic circle. It was light and clear through this part of the flight so I could see the ice/snow formations-it was so spectacular!
Landing in Seoul was also interesting, from the air the city appears as a huge, dense, sprawling metropolis surrounded by mountains...so different than any city I've flown over in the states, the density was just so unreal!
We landed in the Seoul airport and, wow! What an amazing airport, the Korean air terminal was the nicest terminal I've ever been in! The duty free stores are like walking down 5th ave in NYC...Gucci, vuitton, versace, YSL...not just the typical wine and chocolate like other airports.

By the time I landed in Bangkok, I had been traveling almost 30hours (with all the layovers)..I was extremely tired. I picked up my bag and took one look at the huge line at the cab stand and one look at the ad of the BMW advertising "Limos"....I walked directly to the limo stand. I know...I'm supposedly roughing it, backpacking, hostels etc...but at that moment I just didn't care.
My driver in the pimped out BMW was extremely talkative and the second question from him (the first, "where are you going?") was "did you select Obama? Thai people, we love him."